ページ

May 7, 2011

Getting good and healthy sprouts of summer vegetables

 Today I visited my wife's aunt, who are very kind to give sprouts of kinds of summer vegetables like mini-tomatoes, peas, and black chilies. They are on my list of summer vegetables this year and I'm very happy to get those good and healthy sprouts from her aunt who are a master of vegetable farming.


 I, my wife's aunt and her friends, who always help her farming, enjoyed talking about the weather in our local area, tips on growing good vegetables and so on.


 They were preparing to packing small onions and komatunas. I was very shocked with the color of their harvests! Their leaves were truly dark but bright green while my leaves are pale and faint. They gave me an advice that I should add more organic fertilizers like cow manure and oil cakes.

 Finally, I got 5 sprouts of peas, 3 of mini tomatoes and 4 of black chilies.







 The black chilies are so rare that we can't find the seed and sprout in our local home centers and even seed shops since they are not distributed to markets in Japan. They are an indigenous chili in Nara which were developed there about 100 years ago.
 I had been wanting to grow the chili since I saw them in her vegetable plot so I'm very excited!


-- from iPod touch

6 comments:

Bom said...

She certainly seems to be a master judging from her harvest. I can only hope my onions look the same.
Good luck on your peas, tomatoes and chilies. They are all looking well.

Mark Willis said...

Takaeko, if you successfully grow the black chillis you MUST save some seeds and send them to me!
Are you sure those are peas, not beans???

~TastyTravels~ said...

Takaeko, I can't wait to see what the black chilies look like! Are they hot or sweet? And how do you use it?? I'm excited to see them grow in your garden!

becky3086 said...

Good luck with your black chillis and be sure to save those seeds! Their onions look much darker than mine as well.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Like you and everyone I am excited about the black chilies. Don't forget to save the seeds, I would like to have a go at them too;-).Is it hot or sweet?Does it have a special name in Japanese?

takaeko said...

>Everyone
I'm surprised with your quick responses about my black chili! I'll try to save the seeds and send them to you. I'll have to learn a lot about laws and regulations on importing vegetable seeds in your countries.. I believe importing seeds must require quarantine certificates.