ページ

May 19, 2011

Bug's attack has started.

 Today I was shocked to find some leaves of my black chilies had been eaten showing miserable holes. I can imagine what should be blamed for the holes. I believe the leaves were eaten by young worms of European corn-borer. Despite my insect screen, those leaves were eaten, which means the bugs can habit in soil. The young worms are nocturnal and come out of soil to feed leaves.

 I dug out soil around the black chillies but no worm could not be found. I'll be in my garden in early morning tomorrow and try to hunt them.










-- from iPod touch

4 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Pest very good in hiding.

becky3086 said...

Something ate all the tops off of my beans just recently. :(

~TastyTravels~ said...

Sorry about your black chili leaves! I'm loving how pretty the plant is looking though (despite the attack). I had isolated problems with leaf miners on my beets and today I noticed cabbage moth eggs on my kale!! I hope you flush the naughty bugs out!

takaeko said...

>Malay
Yeah, as you know pests can hide themselves easily but finding them is difficult. We have to know when they are active, in morning, afternoon, evening or night? And then we can find them out when they feed our leaves.

>becky
Sorry for your beans. But your beans is so delicious that bugs like them so much!

>Holly
I would get rid of leaves eaten by leaf miners immediately since they hide in leaves so pesticide is less effective. Insect net is effective to ward off cabbage butterflies and you'll have to find their eggs and to remove them one by one.....