ページ

Mar 14, 2011

Planting potatoes

 Today I bought 1kg of potatoes (Danshaku) and planted in one of my planting beds after some preparation.

 Usually a potato has many buds or eyes around it but each seed potatoes should one or two buds on it so I cut them into a half before planting them.



 Cutting surface of the seed potatoes should be covered with ash powder, which can avoid disease infection.






 My son helped planting the seed potatoes in a bed.


 In the mid of June they will be grown with many potatoes, I believe.


-- from iPad

5 comments:

Mark Willis said...

I don't like the idea of cutting the seed potatoes. I prefer to have smaller, but whole, seed potatoes. I'm not planting mine yet, because we can still expect some frost. I think I will probably plant mine in the last week of March.

takaeko said...

>Mark
Using whole of seed potatoes is one of our options if you have a smaller one with only 1 or 2 buds on it.
If frost is still expected, vinyl mulch on a bed might be helpful for keeping the soil warm.

Ali said...

They look great Takaeko, I rarely seem to see potatoes in Japanese food though (we have a lot of Japanese restaurants here), and I'll be really interested to see how you prepare them.

takaeko said...

>Ali
I've posted about a Japanese dish using potatoes on my blog.↓
http://greenvege-osaka.blogspot.com/2010/06/traditional-dish-of-potatoes.html

Anonymous said...

takaedo...I very much miss planting potatoes...one plants this potato or piece of potato in the ground and later can dig out all these yummy potatoes...small, medium, big! Thank you for following my blog!