ページ

Sep 24, 2011

Planting winter vegetables for a pot dish.

Now we are feeling a summer is ending as the temperature is getting cooler. We can recognize clearly the transition of 4 seasons in Japan and it can give gardeners signs saying when and what they should plant.

Cooler temperature after some typhoons is one of the signs telling the start of autumn and we can plant winter vegetables. Today I and my daughter planted sprouts of 3 cabbages, daikon radishes and mizuna/potherb mustards. Daikon radishes and mizuna is very popular for us to cook a pot dish like sukiyaki, which give us warmth in winter.






















My daughter is now my good helper and so reliable that I can leave some gardening works to her. You see her making "straw blankets" for the cabbages. She knows how the blankets works. That's why I can leave it to her.





Autumn can give bugs comfortable environment. Some young worms were found on my Chinese cabbages. I can't leave picking and killing bugs to my daughter. Why? Because she goes away swiftly when she see bugs,,,,.







3 comments:

Mark Willis said...

I too am thinking about Winter vegetables. If only I had a heated greenhouse!

takaeko said...

>Mark
I wish I could have it, too. A green house which can keep the air warm is so productive that we can expect much growth and fruits even in a cold winter.

fer said...

So nice to have such a great helper.
I am also starting to gather the winter vegetables, it is going to be a good season