ページ

Sep 4, 2011

" My teacher " is busy in packing Molokheiyas

 Today my family visited my wife's aunt, who is not only my teacher of gardening but also a farmer who grow various kinds of vegetables and rice.

 When we arrived her working space, she and her friends were so busy in cutting and packing Molokheiyas or nalta jutes (Corchorus olitorius L.) for distributing to local supermarkets. Her products is so famous for their tastes and nutrition.





 Molokheiyas are getting popular among many Japanese including some health-food freaks since their nutrition like vitamins, iron and calcium and they are used in many kinds of supplements.

 My wife's aunt and friends were cutting swiftly their roots, trunks and old leaves, scaling their weight and packing them into vinyl bags. And they check their appearance carefully because Japanese consumers pay attention to beautiful appearance and shape of goods.












Today's harvest
1 Shishito peppers
2 Purple peppers

 I believe you can see easily how big leaves in the photo shown below are! Compared with my daughter, they were taller than my kids! They are a kind of taro or eddoe (Colocasia esculenta、) and they are called "Satoimo" in Japanese. We cook their cut trunks boiling with say sauce or broth.



Today's dinner is stir-fried Shishito peppers and pumpkin croquettes

写真.JPG




                                                    

4 comments:

Mark Willis said...

I've never heard of that stuff Molokheiyas before. It sounds as if it is a very beneficial plant - but does it taste nice, I wonder? Lots of "Good for you" foods taste awful! You would need a very big garden if you wanted to grow that Satoimo plant...

~TastyTravels~ said...

Her produce looks very beautiful! My Shishito peppers are still producing heavily. How do you cook yours? My favorite is simply grilled or blackened and sprinkling sea salt. I didn't know satoimo leaves get that big!! Wow!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Her plants look so healthy. I wish we can grow satoimo here.

takaeko said...

>Mark
You are right,Mark! Beneficial foods are not always delicious and molokheiya is no exception in that.
We see it as "medicine", not as a food and if you enjoy this nutritious vegetable, you should know good recipe for "concealing" the taste like mixing grated molokheiya with cream soup.

>Holly
Your recipe using miso is interesting! In my case, I use say-sauce and shaved dried bonito for seasoning.