ページ

Apr 12, 2012

Harvesting and cooking spinach, pak-chois and a cabbage


 It's a fine day with a clear sky and warm temperature in Osaka. How would I spend today doing nothing outside! Yes, I should go out, do gardening chores, seeding and harvesting in my garden and I did them today.

 As you can see the photos, my pak-chois and spinach have grown bigger enough to be harvested thanks to recent warm weather and proper amount of rain shower. But other keys to the successful growth are sowing less seeds in more spacious gardening ridge and proper thinning-out. I would like to refer to my old post about the keys.

Pak-chois
 I found many holes on my pak-chois! It's so shocking since I set up insect screens over the gardening ridge for my spinach and pak-chois!



 Judging from the shape of the damage on the leaves, I believed that some kinds of bugs had fed the leaves.



 After about 30min investigation, I found some slugs inside my pak-choi. My insect screen seems to be useless to protect my vegetables against bugs which can crawl through tiny space between the screen and soil.



 Fortunately, my spinach is intact and healthy with no holes by bugs although they've grown in the same gardening ridge with the bug-tainted pak-chois. Slugs might prefer pak-chois to spinach?

My spinach
 My cabbages are smaller than I expected but totally healthy with a good-shape heart. I wondered if I should glow them for another week but the outer leave have become hard, which shows it's the time to harvest so I decided to harvest them today.   

My cabbage

 Today's harvest:

1. 30 spinach
2. 25 pak-chois
3. 1 cabbage

Today's harvest


 I believe all vegetable gardeners, including me, feel it happy to cook their harvest just after we've harvest them and to eat them. My wife cooked stir-fried pak-choi with scrambled egg and grilled sausages. It's a simple recipe but the simpleness can make the best use of the pak-choi's flavor.






--from iPad

3 comments:

Robin said...

Your veggie look good. One way to get slugs is to put beer in a shallow container in the garden. They will crawl in and die.

Your meal looks so so good!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

That omelet is perfectly shaped! Looks very yummy!

takaeko said...

>Robin
Thank you for your idea. I'll try it and show how effective the trap on my blog. I didn't know slugs love beer. And I love beer, too!

>Charm
Thank, Charm. Well, I sometimes cook but I'm not as good at make a good-shape omelet as my wife.