ページ

Feb 12, 2012

Planting potatoes with my daughter.

 Today I planted seed potatoes with my daughter, who loves potatoes so much. It's still cold in Osaka but I learned from my experience of growing potatoes last year that I should plant them earlier. Because my last potatoes, which were planted at the mid of March,  should have been grown in soil for longer time. I strongly hope my potatoes should be bigger than last ones.

 As I mentioned in my last blog of potatoes, I prepared potatoes in a popular way in Japan before planting them. Cutting into a half and Covering the surface of potatoes with ash powder.

 Cutting the potatoes and putting ash powder on them was my daughter's assignment.  She was so curious about the way of the potato's preparation asking me many times "Why do I use ash?" .


 After I told her where the potatoes should be planted, I left planting them to her. She remembered how she planted potatoes with me last year.
 My daughter was so reliable that I guess you might think "What did her father do? Didn't he exploit her, did he ?" Well, I'd better show you how I worked today! I wrapped the planting beds with bunches of straws for keeping them warm and moist. Because the air in Osaka during winter is so dry and cold and frost is also expected till the beginning of March.
She seems to love watering even in a cold winter saying, "Dad, please let me do it!"
I believe her efforts can contribute to the bumper harvest!


3 comments:

Mark Willis said...

OK, so why do you use the ash? I'm guessing that it may help to prevent rotting.
Your daughter is so helpful! You mention her often, but I don't think you have told us her name... You must tell her how much we enjoy seeing her assist her Father so enthusiastically. So many kids think that gardening is only for old people.

takaeko said...

>Mark
We can avoid disease infection by using ash. It works as an antiseptic.
Sometimes I see old gardeners accompanying their grandchildren in our garden and they seem to enjoy not only working with their grandkids but trying to tell them how enjoyable gardening and growing vegetables are.

HatakeSamurai said...

Hey! Sounds great! I am a Canadian hatake guy !! I have a small rental plot in Izumi city! I love it! My daughter used to help me but now she is in high school and she only says !no way!...oh well ! It’s still my fun time!!!