ページ

Jun 27, 2010

Don't rain on my parade!

 In the mid of rainy season, it was so clear sky today in Nara where is an old city in Japan and my 2nd farming garden is located that I and my family could not miss the opportunity to harvest potatoes,carrots and burdock roots.

 I planted them 3 months ago the garden and I expected planting potatoes is a good idea since climate this year has been so unusual ( cooler,and much rain) that potatoes output in Japan could be so low  and the retail price could be so high. And Yes it is!! Just 1 potato is about $1 in our local market.


 Carrots and burdock roots is still not mature but I pick up a few of them for a test.And I'm happy to see them well-grown.

2 comments:

Getty said...

Tell me more about burdock roots. We consider burdock a terrible, invasive weed. I've never heard of harvesting the root. Can you show us a picture? How do you prepare the root for eating?

takaeko said...

Getty

It's very interesting to me that you consider burdock a weed. It seems that people in your country don't eat it.A burdock root is a very popular vegetable in Japan and we enjoy various dishes such as a boiled burdock salad.

I'll pick up some burdock roots from my garden this weekend and show you pictures and some recipes of burdock dishes on my blog.