ページ

Jun 24, 2012

The tragedy brought by heavy rain

 Tons of water brought by rainy season starting from the mid of June is essential not only for human being but for vegetables but sometimes too much water might give serious damages like flood.
 
 The heavy rain for 3 straight days through the last weekend caused flood in my garden and all planting ridges had been perfectly submerged for the 3 days, where my carrots had been growing.

 After the heavy rain, I found it unusual that all of my carrot's leaves tuned yellow and pull out one of them. The carrot root was "melted" from the mid of them as you can see in the photo shown below.
 Eventually, I found all of my carrots was decomposed and It was so painful for me to have to give all of them up!! Grrrrrr!!!
 The decomposition was caused by the flood when the carrots had been soaked for too long. 
I saw water still oozing out of the soil when I dug a hole just 5inches deep. I should have make the planting ridge much higher for avoiding the flood.

 I was shocked when I realized that the decomposition was just One of the damages brought by the heavy rain. One of my tomato was infected with "bacterial wilt disease". You can see the tomato's leaves wilted in the photo. The criminal bacteria might be drifted by the flood and prefers wet soil. I felt down when I had to abandon the poor tomato tree with many fruits in order to avoid further infection.

2 comments:

Phuong said...

That is so awful, those poor carrots. The carrots looked like they were large too.

Anonymous said...

We invest so much time and effort all season long so we can enjoy a narrow window of fresh, homegrown food. It's heartbreaking to lose anything but it really makes us better gardeners in the long run.