ページ

Jan 24, 2012

Expansion of my gardening plots in a cold day

 It's been so severely cold days since the new year holiday in Japan that I don't feel like seeding any vegetables with less expectation of germination and many vacant gardening plots. That means it's the time to carry out my idea of redesigning my gardening plots. I spend this whole weekend cultivating my vacant plots to create more available space. At the same time, I added more fertilizer and dried cow manure into the soil for making the soil more fertile.



 The expansion required digging the soil deeper, which was the hardest job to me,  since the original soil was so hard that root vegetables like daikon radishes can not grow in soil.



 After 2-hour chore, I was able to create new gardening spaces, which are shown with yellow-lines in a photo shown below.



 Drainage is always my concern when I think of changing design of my plots. I dug deeper the soil to create drainage to make water run to a main drainage.


 I believe the expansion can give me a great hope for harvesting more various kinds of vegetables.
I want to try to grow fruits like strawberry and herbs in the new spaces. I'm looking forward to seeing my plots will be filled with colorful vegetables and fruits in near future.



--from iPad

4 comments:

Mark Willis said...

Looks good. I hope your hard work will be rewarded later in the year. If it were my garden, I would put wooden boards around each of those growing areas, and make them into Raised Beds.

Robin said...

I think that Mark has a good idea. My ground here at the house was solid clay. I made all raised beds and keep adding a lot of compost to them a couple of times a year. The beds are now very deep and the soil is great!

Good job!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Huh.., the soil around here is even harder. So I just pile up new soil for plants to grow. You seem to be planning well and progressing... good luck!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

A good exercise. Looking forward to see them fill with nice edibles in a few months.