ページ

Jan 8, 2011

Harvesting all komatunas and cooking them

While my radishes ended up with poor result I and my daughter enjoyed harvesting all of my komatunas and cabbages.




Since I found some snails on komatunas and I am planning to change layout of planting beds, I decided all komatunas should be harvested soon.
We harvested plenty of komatunas today and we have to consume them before our fridge will be filled with vegetables. How could we can cook the amount of komatunas? My wife answered the question by today's dinner.




You see most space of the pot occupied by vegetables!
My wife knows steaming in a pot is a good way to decrease volume of vegetables.




Look at the layers of vegetables! Our stomachs have been filled with komatunas and cabbages!

-- from iPad

6 comments:

Mark Willis said...

Hi Takaeko! How nice to have so many vegetables that they won't fit in your fridge. You must give me lots of recipes for your Japanese vegetables, because I'm planning to try growing some this Summer.

Ali said...

Yum, dinner looks delicious. I feel like a hot pot dinner now :)

p3chandan said...

Your daughter seemed to enjoy harvesting the vegetables and you enjoyed eating them!

takaeko said...

>Mark
I agree with you! My wife is much familiar with those recipes than me I'll ask her for them. I wonder what kinds of Japanese seasonings are available in your country. I know say sauce are seen in the world but how about Ponzu sauce (say sauce mixed with citrus juice ) or katsuobushi ( bonito broth )?

>Ali
Not only delicious but less calorie!

>p3chandan
I can rely on my daughter in harvesting actually since she is very helpful!
I'm happy to see she enjoys not only harvesting but also eating vegetables.

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Can komatsuna leaves be pickled? If you have left over beers the snail like them.

takaeko said...

>Malay
Komatsuna leaves can be pickled with salt in a way of "Ichiyazuke" or one-night pickling.
I prefer "Ohitashi" or boiled komatuna leaves with fish broth, sake, salt and say sauce.